Text Size: A+| A-| A   |   Text Only Site   |   Accessibility

  Test Service Providers
Test Information
TSPC does not administer any tests directly; instead, we contract with two testing companies to provide tests for Oregon educators. Please know that the commission occasionally adopts new tests. Before you sign up for an exam, please check this site or the sites for the two testing companies to ensure that you are taking an exam that is currently approved in Oregon.

Tests Required in Oregon
There are three types of tests that potential Oregon educators must pass:
(1) Basic skills exams
(2) Civil rights test
(3) Subject mastery tests

Before you take any test, please double-check to be sure that you are taking the correct test with the appropriate testing company. You can get this information by checking below or going directly to the ORELA and Praxis websites.

If you are moving to Oregon and you already hold an educator license in another state, the following exams may not be required for your first license.

Basic Skills Exams
Educators must submit an official passing score on one of the following Basic Skills Exams (Reading, Writing and Mathematics):

o ORELA: Essential Academic Skills (EAS) Exam - offered in Oregon by ORELA; or
o Praxis 1: Pre-Professional Skills Assessment (PPST) - offered in Oregon by Praxis; or
o California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST) – no longer offered in Oregon, but still an accepted test; or
o Washington Educator Skills Test – Basic (WEST-B) – not offered in Oregon, but an accepted test.

o A doctorate degree from a regionally-accredited institution will waive this requirement

Civil Rights Exam
All educators must submit an official passing score on the approved civil rights exam before receiving a first license in Oregon. Information concerning this test, the Protecting Student and Civil Rights in the Educational Environment exam, is only offered through ORELA.

o As of September 1, 2009, TSPC no longer recognizes workshops, online courses or other tests in lieu of the ORELA civil rights exam.

If you have a license from another state, you may have additional time to complete the Oregon civil rights exam. Click here for more information

Subject Matter Exams
You will need to pass the exam(s) specific to your license and endorsement. Again, since the commission occasionally adopts new tests, please check to be sure that you are taking the correct exams. The following test information was updated on November 23, 2011.

If you would like to add an additional endorsement to your current Oregon license, please know that taking a subject matter test may not be the only requirement needed to add the endorsement.
Please contact us to determine exactly what is required.

ORELA currently provides the following tests for these endorsement areas:
o Art – Art exam
o Biology – Biology exam
o General Business Education - Business Education exam
o Chemistry – Chemistry exam
o Early Childhood Education - - Early Childhood Education exam (only for Basic/Standard licenses)
o ESOL – English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) exam
o Health Education – Health exam
o Integrated Science – General Science exam
o Language Arts – Language Arts exam
o Math (Advanced) – Mathematics exam
o Math (Basic) -- Middle Grades Mathematics exam
o Middle School Language Arts – Middle Grades English Language Arts exam
o Middle School Science - Middle Grades General Science exam
o Middle School Social Studies - Middle Grades Social Science exam
o Multiple Subjects – Multiple Subjects exam
o Music – Music exam
o Physical Education – Physical Education exam
o Physics – Physics exam
o Social Studies - Social Science exam
o Library Media - School Library Media Specialist exam
o Spanish – Spanish exam
o Special Education – Special Education exam

ORELA also provides the tests for the following licenses:
o Administrator – Administrator exam
o School Counselor – School Counselor exam

Praxis currently provides the tests for the following endorsement areas:

o Agricultural Science and Technology –- Agriculture exam
o Communication Disorders -- Speech Language Pathology exam
o Early Intervention/Early Childhood -- Special Education: Preschool/Early Childhood exam
o French –- French Content Knowledge and Productive Language Skills exam
o German –- German Content Knowledge and Productive Language Skills exam
o Communication Disorders –- Education of the Deaf & Hard of Hearing Students exam
o Marketing –- Marketing Education exam
o Reading Specialist –- Reading Specialist exam
o Speech – Speech Communication exam
o Technology Education – Technology Education exam
o Visually Impaired – Teaching Students with Visual Impairments exam

Praxis also provides the test for the following license:

o School Psychologist –- School Psychologist exam

If you have already passed subject matter exams to obtain your out-of-state educator license, you may not need to take Oregon’s subject matter exams. Click here for more information.

Back to the Top

Click here to go to the Oregon Dept. of Veterans' Affairs outreach contact form

Get Adobe Acrobat ReaderAdobe Reader is required to view PDF files. Click the "Get Adobe Reader" image to get a free download of the reader from Adobe.