Text Size: A+| A-| A   |   Text Only Site   |   Accessibility

  TSPC License Guide
Educators who are employed by public schools and who are compensated for their services from public funds must hold a valid license. Licenses are required for: teachers; counselors; school psychologists; supervisors; professional technical directors; principals, program directors, and other district administrators who evaluate licensed personnel; superintendents; athletic coaches; school nurses; substitute teachers; and other personnel performing the above duties regardless of title.
   Please select one of the following, and then press the [Continue] button:
TeacherRegular teaching at one or more designated authorization levels in one or more designated specialties. 
AdministrativeFor superintendent or administrator that are in administration, substitute teaching, and athletic coaching from preprimary through grade twelve.

A Superintendent is the district's chief administrator who reports directly to the school board and for the chief administrator's subordinates whose titles include the term superintendent, such as deputy, associate, or assistant superintendents, and who evaluate licensed personnel. Only the superintendent endorsement is required if one serves as both superintendent and principal in the district.

An Administrator is the administrator in each school attendance unit, and for all other administrators below the level of assistant superintendent who evaluate licensed personnel. Administrative licensure is not required for the head teacher in an elementary school district with seven or fewer teachers including the head teacher. 

PersonnelPersonnel Service licenses with either the counselor, school psychologist, or supervisor endorsements are valid for the designated personnel service, substitute teaching, and athletic coaching from preprimary through grade twelve.

School Counselor - For personnel assigned to assist students to: develop decision-making skills; obtain information about themselves; understand opportunities and alternatives available in educational programs; set tentative career and educational goals; accept increasing responsibilities for their own actions; develop skills in interpersonal relations; and utilize school and community resources. No person working in the schools shall use a title containing the words derived from COUNSELING or SOCIAL WORK without obtaining a school counselor or school psychologist license from the commission, or else obtaining a limited student service license together with approval of the title; unless licensed by the Board of Licensed Professional Counselors and Therapists, the Board of Psychologist Examiners, or the Board of Clinical Social Workers.

School Psychologist - No person working the schools shall use a title containing words derived from PSYCHOLOGY nor claim to be a psychologist or to render psychological services without obtaining a school psychologist license from the commission unless licensed as a psychologist or psychologist associate by the Board of Psychologist Examiners. 

School NurseSchool nurse is a registered nurse who is licensed by the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission as qualified to conduct and coordinate the health services programs of a school. (ORS 342.455) 
Check here if you would like to include license types that are no longer active?

Click here to go to the Oregon Dept. of Veterans' Affairs outreach contact form

Get Adobe Acrobat ReaderAdobe Reader is required to view PDF files. Click the "Get Adobe Reader" image to get a free download of the reader from Adobe.